Friday, January 16, 2009

Very First Blog

Welcome!! This is my new Blog page!! Very exciting(well at least I am)!!
Just to bring you all up to speed with my life, I have currently been in Vancouver for a little less than two weeks. Today is Friday and I have my last day of camp before the weekend. Today, I will be going to camp Joy were I will be teaching, working with and entertaining 21 children grades 1-7. Camp Joy is located in Downtown Vancouver. These kids come from Lord Roberts school which ethnically consists of Eastern European and Asian kids. These kids are usually from single parent homes and many of which are dependent on after school programs such as Urban Promise to keep their kids occupied. An average day usually involves 1/2-1hr play time and then snack time. After snack time we usually do a bible reading and activity. The activity usually is something fun and hands on and relates somehow to the bible study. After the activity its homework time! Some kids have homework from school and others don't so we have to prepare language arts, math or coloring material for the kids to keep them occupied. After homework we usually have some sort of reading, either by themselves or we as leaders read to them as a group. Right now we are reading the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S Lewis. Today though is Friday so it's a fun day (meaning no homework). So instead we do something out of the usual, like teach them a cooking lesson, playing a new game with them, etc. At the End of the day we always end with them playing in the Gym(if the boy had there way it would either be soccer or hockey!) . So that's a usual day at Camp Joy.
As for myself Life is going well! I've been starting to build relationships with all the people at the house. (There are two other interns, a house supervisor, and Mark(works at the local ski hill) and that has worked out really well. We pray together, eat together and spend alot of time getting to know each other. Last week we all went snowshoeing at Mount Cyprus It was lots and lots of fun. Anyways, I hope to hear from everyone back home(saskatoon, spruce View, Calgary) so drop me a line, my email is still the same jay_lutz4@hotmail.com, and let me know a little about your world. God's peace.

jay

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jay! I'm so glad to hear about everything you're doing, its sounds like an awesome program that is really helpful for the kids. Seems like a great job that matchs your heart. Miss you lots, Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jay,

    Glad to hear things are going smoothly so far. I'll probably be coming to Vancouver in late February on business so hopefully I'll get to see you then.

    Peace,

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jay, Too bad the camp wasn't named camp Jay! On a serious note it's good to hear things are going well and we wanted to let you know that we will be thinking of you and will remember you in our prayers (Alara likes to pray two or three times a meal, I think that she just likes the holding hands) Love you Lots, Ian, Jen, Alara and the Baby in the Belly, oh and the dogs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jay! Jen, Ian Alara, AK,and I spent Valentines Day together. It was cold here in Regina. AK and I came after school on Friday. You are probably busy entertaining your company. It was great to read your blog and hear of your activities. It is such a growing experience when you are in ministry. How wonderful to work beside others who share a common passion. I pray that God will give you guidance and wisdom in the activities and decisions you are involved in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jay what is new with the work you are doing? What are your present challenges? Where do you find God in the work you are doing?

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

I Love to just hang out with people, laughing lots and sharing the love of God which I have been so gratiously given.